• 1 cup aquafaba (chickpea water from 1 14 oz can of chickpeas)
- Sub tofu or ripe avocado**
• 1.5 cup vegan dark chocolate chips (or carob chips)
• 1 Tbsp lemon juice
• 2 Tbsp maple syrup
1. Open the can of chickpeas and drain the chickpea water. Place the chickpeas in a container and reserve for another use, like curry or hummus.
2. To a bowl, add aquafaba, lemon juice and maple syrup. Stir to combine. Lemon juice will help aquafaba reach stiff peaks.
3. Use a stand mixer to whip the aquafaba into stiff peaks. It took me around 10 minutes. You should whip the aquafaba until it doesn't slide at all if you turn the bowl over. Unlike egg whites, aquafaba can't be overwhipped so keep going until you achieve a stiff texture.
4. Melt the chocolate using the double boiler method.
5. Gently fold the melted chocolate into the aquafaba with a spatula. The aquafaba may deflate a bit here but it's normal.
** For substitution: After melting chocolate, blend all ingredients on high until creamy consistency
6. Spoon the mousse into individual bowls or glasses and set in the fridge for minimum 3 hours or overnight.
7. Enjoy with fresh raspberries!